There are several different types of damp, all of which can manifest in different ways and will be caused by a variety of things. For this reason, if you are in doubt or suspect that your home may be suffering from damp, the best thing to do is always to call in the experts. At Garratt’s Damp, our experienced, professional team will be able to assess the issue and provide you with a damp proofing quote, detailing the cost of remedial works.
However, as we all know, prevention is always the best course of action. So, with that in mind, we’ve put together a handy guide to help you ensure that your home is as well protected as possible against the onslaught of damp – something which is particularly important as we move into the coldest months of the year.
- Regularly clear out your guttering and downpipes to remove any debris and ensure rainwater can freely flow through the pipes
- If possible, try to dry your laundry outdoors. If this isn’t possible, make sure that the room you are drying your laundry in is well-ventilated
- When cooking or washing, always make sure you keep the room well-ventilated to allow excess moisture to escape
- Most modern homes will have extractor fans or vents built in, but if not, try to at least keep the window open
- Make sure that any ventilators are fully accessible and are not blocked by furniture
- Ensure that your home is well-insulated and draught-proofed
- You may want to invest in a dehumidifier to help with air-flow in the property
It is also important to regularly check your property, both inside and out, for any red flags or maintenance issues that need addressing. The sooner you spot the issue, the easier it should be to fix. Here are some of the things you should be looking out for:
- Always keep an eye out for the common tell-tale signs of damp, including condensation, wet or damp patches and unpleasant, musty smells
- Ensure that your existing Damp Proof Course (DPC) is in full working order
- Check the condition of your guttering and if necessary, get any damaged or cracked pipes replaced as soon as possible
- If you live in an older property it is advisable to check doors and window frames to ensure they are watertight and sealed correctly
- Check your roof for any issues like missing roof tiles or rain-penetrating gaps. You can check the exterior from ground level and the interior from your loft or attic, if it is accessible
- If you encounter any leaks inside your property, such as dripping pipes, get them fixed as soon as possible
If you suspect that your property may be suffering from damp, our expert team can provide you with a damp proofing quote to get you started on the road to a damp-free home. Simply contact us for more information or give us a call today on 0208 535 7536.